Is online gambling legal in Ontario?
As of April 4, 2022, all online gambling activities have been officially legalised and regulated within the province of Ontario, following the establishment of iGaming Ontario. Usually shortened to just IGO, iGaming Ontario is the new arm of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) – and also the first of its kind in Canada – that is dedicated to regulating real money online gambling market it’s province.
The functions of iGaming Ontario are more or less the same as that of land-based gambling regulators. IGO is responsible for issuing licenses to operators of online casinos, poker houses, bookmakers, and live casinos that allow them to legally provide their services to gamblers within the province. Once licensed, these operators are required to comply with provincial laws (particularly tax) and IGO’s rules and restrictions to help ensure a fair and safe gaming experience for their users and curb the incidence of problem gambling.
Best Online Casinos Ontario
As your trusted resource on the best Canadian online casinos, we have painstakingly compiled our list of the best online casinos in Ontario. Each of our recommendations has been thoroughly vetted and verified by our team of online casino experts to deliver online gaming experiences that are a cut above the rest, with excellent games and a robust customer support network.
With the online gambling market in Ontario now being officially regulated, it is expected that more and more online casinos will be entering the market in the coming weeks and months. For this reason, you can be sure that our reviewers will be keeping track of all of these new entries to let you know whether or not they are worth gambling your hard-earned money at.
What online casinos can I play in Ontario?
Although your options for physical casino venues in Ontario aren’t quite as diverse and accessible as, say, Las Vegas, you do at least have a huge variety of options when you go online.
Accessible from your computer or as a mobile casino on your smartphone, online casinos in Ontario can be played from just about anywhere in the province you may be. Whether you live in a fast-paced city like Toronto, a quieter town like Ottawa or Windsor, or right on the outskirts of Peawanuck, online casinos in Ontario are always online and are always ready for whenever you decide to gamble online.
What payment methods can I use?
Your options for payment methods ultimately depend on what payment methods the online casino you are playing at actually accepts. Some operators might choose to refuse certain payment methods in the best interest of their players, especially if the method is too slow, is tricky to work with legally, or is generally too inconvenient.
When we look at the bigger picture, though, online casino enthusiasts in Ontario have their pick of just about every major payment method under the sun. A few notable examples include:
- Bank transfer: Ever the tried and true payment method, fund transfers through your local bank are standard fare for casino payment methods. But with anti-problem gambling initiatives pressuring banks to block gambling-related transactions, third-party firms are picking up the slack and processing Interac casino payments and InstaDebit casino payments.
- E-wallet: Skrill casinos and Neteller casinos are the two go-to choices for gamblers in Ontario for an effective and easy-to-use digital wallet app for online casino transactions, with the added benefit of being completely detached from your personal bank details for an added layer of security.
- Credit card: Another common option for online casino payments, credit cards have wide adoption among online casinos in Ontario. Credit card casinos can be sneaky with their fees, you want to keep unnecessary spending to a minimum.
- Prepaid card: Ontario allows Paysafecard casinos, which is a great alternative payment option for those that feel online banking options make it too easy to overspend on your online gambling sessions.
- Cryptocurrency: In recent years, crypto casinos have become a more popular (and therefore more viable) payment method for online gambling and operators are slowly beginning to adopt it. Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Ethereum are especially common in the crypto casino space because of their popularity.
What is the legal gambling age in Ontario?
The legal gambling age in Ontario is 19 years old, which is consistent with most of the other provinces and territories in Canada.
Are online casinos in Ontario legal?
Yes, online casinos in Ontario can be fully legal now thanks to recent legislation in 2022 that established a regulatory body for online gambling in the province. This means that to be considered a legal online Ontario casino, the site owner must apply for and receive a license from the government of Ontario to operate in the region.
Can I gamble online in Ontario?
Yes, you can gamble online in Ontario and you have quite a lot of options for doing so. From online casino games to sports betting and everything in between, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to online gambling options in the province.
What is the best online casino in Ontario?
The best online casino in Ontario is mostly a matter of personal preference. Generally speaking, however, Ontario casinos are expected to provide excellent customer support, an easy and smooth user experience, and a solid selection of high-quality online casino games to even be considered for the moniker of “the best”.
Can you win real money on Ontario online casinos?
Yes, you can win real money on Ontario online casinos. To do so, however, you will need to make sure that the online casino you are playing at actually allows you to bet real money and that you have an account at the casino all setup.
There are, in fact, online casinos that don’t actually take real money wagers and, in turn, don’t pay out real money when you win. These casinos are typically referred to as “social casinos,” and allow you to take in most of the online gaming experience but without risking your real funds.