Is online gambling legal in Nova Scotia?
Yes, real money gambling is legal in Nova Scotia under the regulatory oversight of the Nova Scotia Alcohol and Gaming Authority. At the time of publishing this article, the ALC.ca online gambling portal is the only NS online casino that is licensed to operate within the province.
It should be noted, however, that this situation is expected to change in the coming years. With the successful launch of the regulated iGaming market for Ontario online casinos in early 2022, it is likely that other provinces will follow suit. This means that we might see a proper Nova Scotia online gambling scene in the future with even more options for online gambling in the province.
Best Online Casinos Nova Scotia
Whether you’re a budget bettor or a high roller, our team of expert reviewers at InsideCasino have gone through the gauntlet to bring you the best NS online casino sites. Every best Canadian online casino has been thoroughly vetted, to ensure that they provide:
- Great online games
- Enticing welcome bonuses and perks
- Excellent customer support
History of Gambling in Nova Scotia
Because most of its history before this is lost to time, the Nova Scotian gambling industry is typically agreed to have started in 1976 with the establishment of the Atlantic Lottery Corporation or ALC, which is the sole licensed lottery provider in Nova Scotia and its three fellow Atlantic provinces.
As legal gambling options continued to expand, the Nova Scotia Alcohol and Gaming Authority would be founded in 1995 to enact and enforce the province’s gambling regulations, with the particular goals of eliminating criminal activity and protecting consumers from problem gambling. The country’s land-based gambling industry would flourish in the following years.
Today, there are two big live casinos in Nova Scotia in addition to several bingo halls. The two land-based casino venues, located in Halifax and Sydney, are operated by the Nova Scotia Gaming Corporation, a firm separate from the AGA. Poker playing rooms, simulcast betting facilities, and the ability to wager on sports through the Proline system are all available here.
What online casinos can I play in Nova Scotia?
You have quite a lot of options when it comes to online casinos you can play in Nova Scotia. Naturally, the ALC.ca portal is one of the most prominent examples that come to mind, being the only NS and Halifax casino online that is licensed to operate inside the province. Being the online arm of the Atlantic Lottery Corporation, this site offers all of the ALC’s gambling products from bingo online to video lotteries, as well as a fairly competitive selection of online casino games.
Of course, if you aren’t a fan of what the ALC has to offer, this is not the end of the world. There this is not the end of the world, as it is perfectly legal to play at an offshore Nova Scotia casino online.
What payment methods can I use?
One of the benefits of playing at Nova Scotia online casinos is the wide variety of payment options that are available to you. You shouldn’t have too much trouble finding a payment option that is most convenient for your needs. If you aren’t sure which type of payment method to use for your online gambling transactions, we’ve made a handy list below for your reference:
- Bank transfer is, despite its issues with blocking transactions and potential security risks, still one of the most reliable payment methods for online gambling purposes.
- Online fund transfer casino services like Interac are typically the first option most gamblers would go to if they want an alternative to traditional online banking. Because Interac operates as a third-party intermediary with Gigadat casino payments, players’ personal banking details are hidden from casino operators for an extra level of security, and banks are much less likely to block transactions as they cannot see that the funds are going to online casinos.
- E-wallets like Neteller, Skrill and eCheck casinos are another very convenient payment method for online gambling, mostly because it’s possible that you already use it in your daily life. With funds already in your e-wallet, you can move money into and out of your online casino account with just a few taps.
- Cryptocurrency is the hot new payment method being adopted by NS online casino sites over the last couple of years. Crypto gambling has become very popular because the system is designed to be completely anonymised, making cryptocurrency one of the most secure payment methods out there if you can get past its many technical hurdles.
What is the legal gambling age in Nova Scotia?
The legal gambling age in Nova Scotia is 19 years old in accordance with the province’s gambling laws. Once of legal age, players are free to enjoy NS and Halifax casino online as well as land-based betting options like lotteries, sports betting, and others.
Are online casinos in Nova Scotia legal?
Yes, online casinos in Nova Scotia are legal, and this applies to both local and offshore Nova Scotia casinos online.
Can I gamble online in Nova Scotia?
Yes, you can gamble online in Nova Scotia and you have many options here, to boot. From bingo halls to video lotteries and everything in between, you won’t ever come up short in terms of the gambling options you can partake in within the province.
What is the best online casino in Nova Scotia?
In terms of online casinos that operate within the province, the ALC.ca portal is the best online casino in Nova Scotia. However, there are dozens of online casinos that operate offshore, which greatly expands your options on what you can play and where you can play it.
Check out our reviews on casino Halifax online here at InsideCasino to find the ones that have the gambling experience you’re looking for.
Can you win real money on Nova Scotia online casinos?
You can win real money on Nova Scotia online casinos, with jackpots in various orders of magnitude depending on what you play.